Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why I am not an insurance salesman

Many years ago, I had a friend who I had not seen for about a decade. He contacted me and we had lunch together. He told me that I was his good friend and he was very concerned for me. He said, "What would happen to your family if you die suddenly?" And he offered me a great insurance plan. I proved to him that I had no money to subscribe to his plan and he left. Since then, he had not contacted me. But this is not the reason why I would not want to be an insurance salesman.

Have you even seen a person whose house is burning and he is about to be burnt to death and you go up to him and said, "You have this pimple on your nose. Buy this cream from me and it will go away."

I cannot bring myself to tell my clients, "What would happen to your family if you die suddenly?" when I should say, "What would happen to your soul if you die suddenly? Would you be in Heaven or in Hell for eternity?" I find it not right to sell pimple cream to a person in danger of fire, instead of pulling him out of the burning house.

No comments: