Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Secret to Knowing God's Will

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2 ESV)

The following were taken from the transcript of a sermon preached by Pastor Jason Lim of Gospel Light Christian Church on 28 Oct 2012 "The Secret to Knowing God's Will":

I think the best guarantee that God will lead you tomorrow is that you obey Him today.

I learned this personally in my life. Saved at 18, never had any doubt I want to serve Christ for the rest of my life. But I never really knew where I was going to go. I wanted to serve Him. And I thought I will serve Him in some rural countries somewhere off. But I never really had enough time or I never really devoted myself to worrying about the future. All I did was to do what I had to do in my life. Studying in medicine, reading and training myself in the Scriptures and in the ministry. Actively fellowshipping, doing what God wants me to do. And right up to the last six months of my bond, I was not even thinking about exactly where I was going to go. And then as we obey God in the first step of our life, He leads us into the next step.

Maybe today, you’re a child, teenager, and you want to know God’s will for you. Let me say this, what God wants you to know today is His revealed will and that is this: Children, obey your parents. How is God going to lead me? Let me say this, you obey your parents. Because God is going to lead you through your parents. Children, honour your parents, value what they say to you. If some of us, we are impatient and we feel that we are the only one who hears from God. Maybe today you’re looking for a new job because financially you are tight. Let me say this to you, instead of worrying about the future like we’ve been talking about, focus on being a good worker. Focus on submitting to your superior. Focus on being gracious to your subordinates. Focus on not being a "I" service worker, man-pleaser, but working with diligent and dignity and integrity. And God leads you in your next step. When there are needs around you, you don’t have to sit around and wait. Is this God’s will for me to serve the poor, reach the unsaved and encourage my brethrens. You don’t have to sit around waiting for these things. It’s the mind of Christ. What would Jesus do? Now, there are times when we really know not better, then you’ve got to pray. You’ve got to pray, God give me wisdom. James 1:5. But it’s always through the renewed mind. That’s how it works.

God is not just here to give us information, but to effect transformation.

But a good teacher, a good teacher doesn’t give all the right answers to the students. That’s not his job. A good teacher doesn’t give all the right answers. A good teacher coaches the person to develop and to discover the right answers. Would you want to ace your exams and fail in life?
...
Knowing God’s will, we also think it’s about formula. Step 1, step 2, step 3… and we think that God is some heavenly vending machine that you press some buttons and He must give you an answer. No, seeking God’s will is more than a formula. It’s about a relationship and intimacy, a fellowship with God that His Word will come into your life and by the Holy Spirit, He transforms your mind to apply those truths. I suggest to you, that the secret to knowing God’s will is having the mind of Christ and one of the key there is to realise knowing God’s will, the key to knowing God’s will is not knowing God’s will but knowing God. I suggest to you, that the secret to knowing God’s will is having the mind of Christ and one of the key there is to realise knowing God’s will, the key to knowing God’s will is not knowing God’s will but knowing God.

And lastly can I say to you, when you know that the secret of knowing God’s will is found in the mind of Christ, it leads you to live a life of active obedience and not passive waiting. It’s exciting! I can live in active obedience today and not be anxious or worry about the future tomorrow.

No comments: