Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Sex In The Dark

Jacob worked for Rachel for seven years, but it seemed like a few days because he loved her. Jacob said to Laban, "The time has come. Give me my wife so that I may sleep with her." So Laban invited all the people of that place and prepared a banquet. However, in the evening, he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and he slept with her. (Genesis 29:20-23 CEB)

Judah saw her and thought she was a prostitute because she had covered her face. He turned to her beside the road and said, "Let me sleep with you," because he didn't know she was his daughter-in-law.
She said, "What will you give me for sleeping with you?"
He said, "I will give you a kid goat from my flock."
She said, "Only if you give me some deposit, as security to guarantee that you will send it."
He said, "What kind of deposit should I give you?"
And she said, "Your seal, its cord, and the staff in your hand." He gave these to her, slept with her, and she became pregnant by him.
Then she got up, left, and took off her veil, dressing once again in the clothing she wore as a widow.
(Genesis 38:15-19 CEB)

Like father, like son. I always wonder why Jacob and Judah could have made such mistakes. For Jacob it was dark and they sleep in a tent without candle. But didn't Leah made any noise throughout the process? Didn't she talk to Jacob? Judah seemed to have done it in the day. But she did not take off her veil. Is that the standard practice for commercial sex in those days?

No comments: