Thursday, October 26, 2023

Jeremiah Prophesied That God Would Destroy Jerusalem

Early in the reign of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, this word came from the Lord: "This is what the Lord says: Stand in the courtyard of the Lord's house and speak to all the people of the towns of Judah who come to worship in the house of the Lord. Tell them everything I command you; do not omit a word. Perhaps they will listen and each will turn from their evil ways. Then I will relent and not inflict on them the disaster I was planning because of the evil they have done. Say to them, 'This is what the Lord says: If you do not listen to me and follow my law, which I have set before you, and if you do not listen to the words of my servants the prophets, whom I have sent to you again and again (though you have not listened), then I will make this house like Shiloh and this city a curse among all the nations of the earth.'" (Jeremiah 26:1-6 NIV)

Jeremiah prophesied that the temple of Solomon and the city of Jerusalem would be destroyed. If you were a Jew living in those days, would you believe that God would destroy His own temple and His own city? Did not God promised that the dynasty of David would never end? How can Jeremiah's prophecy be true?

Would you believe that God would do something that seemed to be against His word?

Since you, my God, have revealed to your servant that you will build him a house, your servant has found courage to pray in your presence. Lord, you indeed are God, and you have promised this good thing to your servant. So now, you have been pleased to bless your servant's house that it may continue before you forever. For you, Lord, have blessed it, and it is blessed forever. (1 Chronicles 17:25-27 CSB)

No comments: