Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Two Sides of Efficiency - Consumers and Producer

When I was young, I noticed how inefficient lifts are. Sometime, when all the lift are on the ground floor, then one person goes in, and the lift closes the door and moves off with that one person. Then another come, and another lift goes off with that one person. I felt that the problem is that the control is inside. The lift system cannot forecast passenger needs. A more efficient way, I thought, is to select the floor while you were outside. This way, the system can predict in advance who is waiting for the lift at which floor and desgin the most efficient route. And this idea was implemented at Wisma GKBI (pronounced Gay-Kah-Bay-Yee) in Jakarta. But it turned out that what was efficient for the lift is very inefficient for me.The lift took a long time during non-peak hours because it maximise its throughput, fetching as many passengers as possible in every floor. And I had to wait a long time for the lift.

No comments: