Saturday, November 16, 2013

Substitution

Below are taken from this web page "Substitution" by an ex-Roman Catholic.

QUOTE
What kind of death was the substitutionary death of Christ or how did Christ die?
1. VOLUNTARILY
John 10:11, 18 "I am the good shepherd: the good Shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. No man taketh it for me, but I lay it down of myself. I have the power to lay it down and I have the power to take it again. This commandment I have received of my Father."

2. VICARIOUSLY
Hebrews 9:26 "For then he must have often suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself."
Philippians 2:5-8 "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
I Peter 2:24 "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye are healed."

3. VICIOUSLY
Isaiah 50:6 "I gave my back smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face shame and spitting."
Isaiah 52:14 "As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of man:"
Matthew 26:67 "Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and other smote him with the palms of their hands."
Matthew 27:30 "And they spit upon him, and to the read, and smote him on the head."
Luke 23:33 "And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left."

4. VISIBLY
Psalms 22:7,8 "All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake their head saying, He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: Let him deliver him seeing he delighted in him."
Matthew 27:39 "And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads."
Mark 15:29 "And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroy us the Temple, and build listed in three days."
Hebrews 13:12 "Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate."

5. VICTORIOUSLY
I Corinthians 15:20 "But now is Christ risen from the, and become the firstfruits of them that slept."
Matthew 28:6 "He is not here, he is risen."
Mark 16:6 "He is not here."
Luke 24:6 "He is not here, but is risen."
UNQUOTE

No comments: