Monday, August 4, 2014

Baptismal Regeneration - Water Baptism Does Not Save

Baptism is not necessary for salvation, but all Christians should be baptized.

Jesus
Our Lord does not need to be saved, but He subject Himself to baptism to fulfil all the requirements of the Law for sinners who could never hope to do so on their own.

But John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?" But Jesus answering said to him, "Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he permitted Him. (Matthew 3:14-15 NASB)

And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water. (John 1:31 KJV)

The Dying Thief
The dying thief was not baptized, but he was saved. None other than the Lord Himself confirmed that.
And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Luke 23:39–43 KJV)

Simon the Sorcerer
Simon the Sorcerer was baptized. But he was not saved. Water baptism does not save. You can remain as an unbeliever even after baptism.
Even Simon himself believed, and after being baptized he continued with Philip. And seeing signs and great miracles performed, he was amazed. (Acts 8:13 ESV)
Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, saying, "Give me this power also, so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit." (Acts 8:18-19 ESV)

Jerusalem Council
In the debate about the salvation of Gentiles on whether the Gentiles must be circumcised and keep the Law from Moses like the Jews, the conclusion is that salvation for Gentiles and Jews are the same, which by grace through faith.
The apostles and the elders gathered to consider this matter. After much debate, Peter stood and addressed them, "Fellow believers, you know that, early on, God chose me from among you as the one through whom the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and come to believe. God, who knows people’s deepest thoughts and desires, confirmed this by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he did to us. He made no distinction between us and them, but purified their deepest thoughts and desires through faith. Why then are you now challenging God by placing a burden on the shoulders of these disciples that neither we nor our ancestors could bear? On the contrary, we believe that we and they are saved in the same way, by the grace of the Lord Jesus." (Acts 15:6-11 CEB)

Paul the Apostle
Paul the very single minded apostle on salvation, (For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. (1 Corinthians 2:2 KJV)), declared that he did not baptize many people. He was glad and "I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one would say you were baptized in my name. Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other. (1 Corinthians 1:14-16 NASB)" He emphasized that "For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. (1 Corinthians 1:17 ESV)" If baptism is necessary for salvation, why didn’t Christ sent Paul to baptize? Why would Paul be so glad that he baptize so little?

No comments: