Saturday, April 10, 2021

Mandatory Fasting In The Bible

"Now on the tenth day of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement. It shall be for you a time of holy convocation, and you shall afflict (וְעִנִּיתֶ֖ם) yourselves and present a food offering to the LORD. (Leviticus 23:27 ESV)

Ramadan is coming again! The Muslims will be fasting for the whole month of Ramadan. Is there mandatory fasting in the Bible? Yes, there is mandatory fasting in the Torah for the Israelites on the Day of Atonement and it lasts one day. Actually it did not specify fasting, rather it is to afflict oneself. But Jews have used fasting to afflict themselves. For Christians, fasting is voluntary. Our God does not give us a heavy burden.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV)

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. (1 John 5:3 ESV)

No comments: