Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hardened Hearts But Mercy Available To Those Who Seek

No city made peace with the Israelites except the Hivites who inhabited Gibeon; all of them were taken in battle. For it was the Lord’s intention to harden their hearts, so that they would engage Israel in battle, be completely destroyed without mercy, and be annihilated, just as the Lord had commanded Moses. (Joshua 11:19-20 HCSB)

Many sinners refuse to make peace with God. They will receive God's justice. Those who seek God, like the Hivites, will receive His mercy.

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the heart of his servants, that I may perform these signs of Mine among them, and that you may tell in the hearing of your son, and of your grandson, how I made a mockery of the Egyptians and how I performed My signs among them, that you may know that I am the LORD. (Exodus 10:1-2 NASB)

"He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them." (John 12:40 ESV) quoting from Isaiah 6:10, see also Acts 28:27.

No comments: