Saturday, October 24, 2015

God Is Like Nothing On Earth

Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, "I am who I am.” And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I am has sent me to you.'" (Exodus 3:13-14 ESV)

To whom then will you compare me, that I should be like him? says the Holy One. (Isaiah 40:25 ESV)

When Moses asked God how to describe Himself so that he can report back to his people, God can only answer, "I am who I am." There is nothing in creation that God can be compared to. That is why idolatry is such a great sin.

To whom will you liken me and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be alike? Those who lavish gold from the purse, and weigh out silver in the scales, hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; then they fall down and worship! They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it, they set it in its place, and it stands there; it cannot move from its place. If one cries to it, it does not answer or save him from his trouble. (Isaiah 46:5-7 ESV)

Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? (John 14:9 ESV)

For the entire fullness of God's nature dwells bodily in Christ, (Colossians 2:9 HCSB)

So whosoever wants to see God, or know how God is like, he can look to Christ.

No comments: