Friday, June 10, 2016

Begin With The End In Mind - Updated 2016-06-10

Original post is found here.

Stephen Covey, in his book, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" list Habit 2 as "Begin with the End in Mind". This is good advice, although I am going to give this habit a twist. Everyone should begin with the universal end in mind. What is the universal end? It is death.

Steve Jobs also had the universal end in mind in his Commencement Address at Stanford University on 12th June 2005:
QUOTE
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
UNQUOTE

In 1977, while visiting Newcastle, England a young boy asks Ali what he would do after retirement. Ali used the opportunity to talk about man's existence and life after death. Here is a youtube video on the interview. and here is what he said in words from an Islamic website:
QUOTE
So what am I saying? The most important thing is what's gonna happen when you die. Are you going to heaven or hell? And that's eternity! How long is eternity?? Let's imagine. Take the Sahara Desert. There's a lot of sand on the Sahara Desert, right? Then imagine that one grain of sand represents 1000 years. And when you in hell burning, when you die and go to hell, you gonna burn forever and ever and ever. No end. How long is that? To give you an idea of how long eternity is, take the Sahara Desert and I told you to wait 1000 years and every 1000 years I want you to pick up a grain of sand until the desert is empty. Ok, wait 1000 years--pick up a grain, wait another 1000 years before you get the next grain, keep that up until there's no more sand in the desert. I mean, America is not but 200 years old. We got 800 more years before 1000 so just scares me to think that I'm gonna die one day and go to hell. …………..so what am I gonna do when I'm through fighting? I only have 16 years to be productive and get myself ready to meet God and go to the best place. Does that make sense?
UNQUOTE

It is sad to know that these men, who gave such wise advice, did not heed the wisest advice of all, which is from the Bible, which tell of the truly important truth - eternal life.

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (John 17:3 KJV)

If you have eternal life, you would have solved the problem of death.
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? (1 Corinthians 15:55 KJV)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

No comments: