Friday, June 17, 2016

Second Psalm

And we bring you the good news that what God promised to the fathers, this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm, 'You are my Son, today I have begotten you.' (Acts 13:32-33 ESV)

Thanks to Kevin Oberlin, I noted that Psalm 2:7 is another prophecy of the Messiah's resurrection. Then I noticed something else. Paul referred to the quotation as from the second Psalm. That meant that this Psalm was the second Psalm during the Apostle Paul's time 2000 years ago.

Normally New Testament authors referred to Old Testament quotations in a broad manner because the chapters and verses that we know today were not yet implemented in the scriptures. Thus this reference by Paul is one of the most precise in the New Testament.

I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. (Psalm 2:7 KJV)

No comments: