Sunday, July 3, 2022

If Jesus Paid It All, Why Do We Have To Count The Cost?

But this man, after offering one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God. (Hebrews 10:12 CSB)
Jesus paid it all.

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. (Luke 9:23 KJV)
Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? (Luke 14:27-28 ESV)
Why do we have to count the cost?

I have heard how some pastors explain in this way, salvation is free but discipleship is costly. So is God a wicked fisherman who hide the sharp hook of discipleship within the free bait of salvation? Or are there two classes of believers, ordinary believers and disciples?

When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour, I did not count the cost. Neither I did I do a cost benefit analysis. I did not know what a wonderful benefit eternal life is. I could not fully understand that I have escape eternal damnation. I did not know much. I did not have the Bible. I just accepted blindly.

Consider it a great joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you experience various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. (James 1:2-4 CSB)

Looking back, I saw the wonderful grace of God working in me, walking with Him for more than forty nine years. If there had been any earthly cost, I think I have reaped more earthly benefit, and that is not counting the eternal gain that I will be having.

He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. (1 Thessalonians 5:24 ESV)

He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; and being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. (Romans 4:20-21 KJV)

Don't count the cost. Believe God. Whatever He had promised, He is able to deliver.

Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? - unless indeed you fail to meet the test! (2 Corinthians 13:5 ESV)

Brethren, pray for us. (1 Thessalonians 5:25 KJV)

No comments: