Sunday, September 18, 2022

大學之道

Chinese classics sometimes have glimpses of Biblical truth. Here we have the first verse of "Great Learning 大學 (translated by A. Charles Muller)":

QUOTE
大學之道、在明明德、在親民、在止於至善。
The way of great learning consists in manifesting one's bright virtue, consists in loving the people, consists in stopping in perfect goodness.
知止而後有定、
When you know where to stop, you have stability.
定而後能靜、
When you have stability, you can be tranquil.
靜而後能安、
When you are tranquil, you can be at ease.
安而後能慮、
When you are at ease, you can deliberate.
慮而後能得。
When you can deliberate you can attain your aims.
物有本末、事有終始。知所先後則近道矣。
Things have their roots and branches, affairs have their end and beginning. When you know what comes first and what comes last, then you are near the Way.
UNQUOTE

I declare the end from the beginning, and from long ago what is not yet done, saying: my plan will take place, and I will do all my will. (Isaiah 46:10 CSB)

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. (Revelation 22:13 NIV)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

Confucius, as usual, got the concepts more or less right. If you knew your end (知止), you would be near the way (近道). But what should the end be? Is it to end in perfect goodness (止於至善)? And what would the way be? Is it to manifest one's bright virtue (明明德), loving people (親民), ending in ultimate goodness (止於至善)? Confucius may not have the right answers since he was a mere mortal.

Let us think about this. If we know the ultimate beginning and the ultimate end (物有本末、事有終始。知所先後), we can frame our goals and ways within it. Jesus is the ultimate beginning and the ultimate end. He is also the Way. We know where we are going because Jesus is the Way. We know He is the right Way because He is also the Truth and the Life.

Jesus is the answer to Confucius. Jesus is your goal and your way.

The Chinese text without translation found in 禮記 : 大學 - 中國哲學書電子化計劃:
大學之道,在明明德,在親民,在止於至善。知止而後有定,定而後能靜,靜而後能安,安而後能慮,慮而後能得。物有本末,事有終始,知所先後,則近道矣。

Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. (Psalm 119:98-100 NIV)

Read the Bible. It will make you wiser than Confucius.

No comments: