Friday, December 1, 2023

Exegesis Versus Eisegesis

Whoever is wise, let him understand these things; whoever is discerning, let him know them. For the ways of the LORD are right, and the righteous walk in them but the rebellious stumble in them. (Hosea 14:9 BSB)

Same Bible but different readers produce different results. There are those who let the Bible speak to them (exegesis). There are those who want to read their ideas into the Bible (eisegesis). There are those who let God reveal Himself and there are those who create their own image of God.

Always read through the Bible from cover to cover at least once. Then you will have a comprehensive overview.

Reading the Bible can make you as wise as Solomon or as blind as a bat.

They do not comprehend or discern, for He has shut their eyes so they cannot see and closed their minds so they cannot understand. (Isaiah 44:18 BSB)

Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. (Psalm 119:98-100 NIV)

No comments: