Saturday, February 7, 2009

Delaying in doing good

Once I had this Indonesian Muslim colleague who does not wear a tudung. Someone asked her why she was not wearing one. She replied, "I am still young. I want to enjoy myself first. I will wear the tudung when I am older."

I had a student who once said to me, "If I know the exact date when I would die, I would be a nun for two years before that date."

To me, wearing tudungs and becoming a nun had no value. But to these two, they were something good and also have some religious values. However, it seem such an unhappy burden to them that they preferred to postpone these good things to enjoy themselves. But why did they not enjoy doing good?

The Bible has the answer. All men (and women) are sinners and they enjoy sin but hate righteousness.

No comments: