Sunday, July 30, 2017

In His Own Words - Why Jesus Came

Jesus said He came to do His Father's will.
For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. (John 6:38-39 ESV)

Jesus said He came to bear witness to the truth.
Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world - to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." (John 18:37 ESV)

Jesus said He came to be the light of the world.
I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. (John 12:46 ESV)

Jesus said He came to fulfil the Law.
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17 ESV)

Jesus said He came to proclaim the good news about the Kingdom of God.
And He said to them, "Let's go on to the neighboring villages so that I may preach there too. This is why I have come." (Mark 1:38 HCSB)
But He said to them, "I must proclaim the good news about the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because I was sent for this purpose." (Luke 4:43 HCSB)
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." (Luke 4:18-19 ESV)

Jesus Christ said He came to call sinners to repentance.
And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." (Mark 2:17 ESV)

Jesus said He was sent to the lost sheep of Israel.
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." (Matthew 15:24 ESV)

Jesus said He came to seek those who are lost.
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost. (Luke 19:10 ESV)

Jesus said He came to save the world.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. (John 3:17 ESV)

Jesus said He came to serve.
If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. (John 13:14 ESV)
But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:25-28 ESV)

Jesus said He came to suffer, die for the forgiveness of sins and resurrect on the third day.
He also said to them, "This is what is written: The Messiah would suffer and rise from the dead the third day, and repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Luke 24:46-47 HCSB)

Jesus said He came to give His life as a ransom for many.
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45 ESV)
Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." (Matthew 26:26-29 ESV)

Jesus said He came to die on the cross.
Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. (John 12:27 ESV)

Jesus said He came to die for all His sheep.
I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father. (John 10:14-18 ESV)

Jesus said He came so that we can have life, and have it more abundantly.
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10 ESV)

Jesus said He came to give rest to the weary.
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28 ESV)

Jesus said He came to give us peace.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27 ESV)

Jesus said He came to cause division.
Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. (Matthew 10:34 ESV)
Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. (Luke 12:51 ESV)

Jesus came for the judgement of the world.
Jesus said, "For judgment I came into this world, that those who do not see may see, and those who see may become blind." (John 9:39 ESV)

Jesus said He did not come to judge.
Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me." But he said to him, "Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?" (Luke 12:13-14 ESV)

No comments: