Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Love Your Enemies

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17 NIV)

Then I said, "See, I have come; in the scroll it is written about me. (Psalm 40:7 CSB)

A lot of people thought that Jesus came to teach something new and they wanted to follow His teachings. But everything that Jesus taught is found in the Law and the Prophets (Old Testament). For example, everyone thought that loving your enemies is something new taught by Jesus. It is not. It is found in the Law given to Moses by God and also in Proverbs.

"If you come upon your enemy's ox or donkey that has strayed away, take it back to its owner. If you see that the donkey of someone who hates you has collapsed under its load, do not walk by. Instead, stop and help. (Exodus 23:4-5 NLT)
Do not nurse hatred in your heart for any of your relatives. Confront people directly so you will not be held guilty for their sin. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19:17-18 NLT)
Don't rejoice when your enemies fall; don't be happy when they stumble. For the Lord will be displeased with you and will turn his anger away from them. (Proverbs 24:17-18 NLT)
If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink. You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads, and the Lord will reward you. (Proverbs 25:21-22 NLT)

Jesus came not to bring new teachings, but to be the Lamb of God to die for the sins of the world.

"Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. (John 12:27 ESV)

The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! (John 1:29 ESV)

No comments: