Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Saying Grace Before Food

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:18 KJV)
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV)

We are supposed to give thanks for the food before every meal. The prayer formula usually goes something like this, "Lord, thank you for the food that you have given us, thank you for the hands that prepared the food and bless it to our body, in Jesus' name we pray, amen."

I give thanks for the food, especially when I realized that I like the food I eat most of the time. I thank God that I am able to enjoy my food. I am glad that I have food, and that I am able to eat. For those rare occasions that I don't like my food, I remember that there are many who will appreciate what I have because they may not have enough to eat.

When I am eating at home, my thanks for the hands that prepared the food are genuine. But when I am eating out, I may have said it as part of a formula I remembered.

Blessing the food to our body is also my genuine request. Since I am not particularly fastidious about what I eat, I need my Lord's help to ensure that the many harmful stuff I eat is taken care of.

No comments: