Monday, December 23, 2019

The Main Theme of the Bible - 3

The whole Bible can be summarized with four words - creation, fall, redemption, restoration. This is the overall theme of the whole Bible.

Our world today is in its third stage - redemption.
The Bible described creation in two chapters (Genesis 1:1 - 2:25).
The Bible described the fall in one chapter (Genesis 3:1 - 3:24).
The Bible described the restoration in one and a half chapters (Revelation 21:1-22:5).
The bulk of the Bible give details of God's redemptive work with the following sub-themes:
  1. A king and redeemer anointed by God;
  2. A people and nation to be redeemed;
  3. A kingdom's promised land for the redeemed (including the place where God will be worshipped).
The Promised Messiah
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. (Genesis 3:15 KJV)

The Redeemed People
Say therefore to the people of Israel, 'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment. (Exodus 6:6 ESV)

The Promised Land
Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." (Genesis 12:1-3 ESV)

No comments: