Monday, March 13, 2023

The Subtlety of Faith - God vs Works

But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without works, and I will show you faith by my works. (James 2:18 CSB)

There is a subtle difference between having faith in our works and having faith in our God.

A friend shared with me that some troubles happened to him. He had taken some action which he thought was right but now it went wrong. His action is very logical. If I were in his shoes, I would do exactly the same thing. And he added that before taking action, he had prayed about it.

I may be wrong, but he gave me the impression that he expected right results because he had done the right actions (i.e., praying to confirm that is God's will). Thus now he is very confused and upset.

While it is true that following God is right, it may sometimes lead to unexpected results. We have to make sure that our faith is in God and not our right actions. We should just do the right thing and leave the results to God.

Jesus's disciples followed Him, but they ran into a storm. Right action, wrong result.

And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. (Matthew 8:23-24 ESV)

No comments: